Wednesday, August 17, 2011

5 weeks post surgery...hiking????

Not much has happened but a lot has happened.

Good progression on the healing front....the pain continues to subside and the weakness is getting less in my back. So much so I really began pushing it. On Saturday August 6th (just under 4 weeks post surgery) I went for a hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. I started off thinking I would go a couple miles up and a couple of miles back....but I got out there and felt great...so I kept on going....5 miles to Ouzel Lake (and back for a total of 10 miles). My doc said I could walk and hiking is walking right?

Amazing to me....so I called my surgeon the following Monday and asked if it was ok (how does the expression go...better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission). Needless to say he was not too happy...and I got very strict instructions to do WALKING only until my 6 week checkup (next Tuesday).

I also asked about not wearing my brace while sitting (thinking that it was only for preventing a nasty event while walking around) and once again was told...no freaking way.

Oh well....I expected much of the same....me pushing the envelope...and the doctor pushing back....he knows I want to cut loose so I am sure he will let me go as soon as possible. I am dying to get back on the bike (no...not on the road but at least the indoor stationary one). I understand I cannot subject myself to a possible crash outdoors....but I have never crashed my stationary bike...yet.

Back at work in the office on a regular basis...I was in Chicago the week of August 1st and then back in my office in Denver for the first time in a month the week of August 8th. No pain sitting up and no pain driving.  No pain....no painkillers....the success story I was hoping for.

I have a little leg pain and numbness the last two weeks...but nothing significant. I am sure it is related to the ruptured disk that was repaired above L5. But I see that as something less significant than the fusion at L5-S1. It can be touched up again in the future arthroscopically. But the fusion is the full monty and it is important it is healed properly now. I won't know for certain until Tuesday...but I am pretty certain it is waaay ahead of schedule. I hope my doc starts to turn me loose.

Really not much else to report...the progress is measured more slowly now....but suffice it to say I feel great and feel great improvement over the last two weeks.

11 comments:

  1. Great news! This is just a great story. I hope your doc uses you as a success story for his future clients --

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's it all going now??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just read your blog and am astounded. I just had a spinal fusion L3-S1 and am 5 weeks post op. My doctor has me in a hard body brace with instructions to ONLY walk with a walker! Needless to say I am going nuts in my house. I do walk outside with friends, however my endurance doesn't come close to matching yours.

    Question: Have you feared that your back would "snap" above the fusion? I asked my doctor if that was possible, since he told me I was very limber and his response was "well, it could happen". That has me concerned and working hard to build up my back muscles with weights.

    I'd love to hear back from you.

    Nez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for blogging this. My TLIF is scheduled for this Thursday (March 07).
    Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome....please email me if you have any questions or concerns....Craig

      Delete
  5. I see you still are at least responding to this blog. I had TLIF on my L4-L5 with a discectomy on 3/4/13. I too was off of my pain killers fairly shortly (week of 3/18/13) and back to work on 3/25/13 full time (8 1/2-9 hours a day). The pain is tolerable most days. I went from taking 2 powerful pain killers since last June to taking none last week with no withdrawal symptoms. My hubby says I'm nicer now. lol When I had my post op 2 1/2 weeks after surgery, the doctor released me with no restrictions. I know that's not usually the case but I followed what the doctor and his nurses told me. :-) The problem I am having is my appetite. I know I'm overweight. I want to work out but I can't do that because I can't eat a lot. I eat about a third of what I did pre-op, literally. When did your appetite come back? Also, how much nerve damage did you have? Even on the pain killers pre-op, I was still pretty active for how bad my back was. Like my mom told me, "nothing keeps you down." Heh, I actually begged the doctor to let me go back to work. I'm ready to be my normal 31-year old self again, whatever that entails. I've had back problems for 8 years but only in Feb 2012 was it actually diagnosed. I feel great and I know that can give a false sense of security. The nerve pain gets to me from time to time but nothing I can't handle. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Craig, thank you very much for the blog as it has helped me in making a decision on whether to go ahead with a TLIF or not.
    I would like to know how are you feeling now almost 2 years post surgery

    Thanks and keep on blogging. Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all....you are welcome...I too experienced the anxiety that so many do that have read my blog and that was my reason for writing it....I am glad it could bring some comfort to you.

      Just yesterday I was working in the garden....moving a lot of heavy dirt/sod....and am a bit sore today but honestly something I could not have done two years ago....I am by no means "perfect" but I am by most peoples standards, significantly improved....and most importantly I am pain free 95%+ of the time. Yes I continue to have days where my back hurts occasionally....today for instance....but it is NOT the day in day out pain I had prior to surgery.

      Regarding what the surgery would do....I too feared that....I was afraid of a drastic reduction in flexibility and that just has not happened. I wake up in the morning and my back sometimes feels stiff when bending over to tie shoes and such but once I get my butt in gear and ride bike, hike, or work out in some way shape or form it feels much better. I still get the occasional twinges of back pain that come and go but NOTHING like it was pre-surgery. I was off pain killers in a week after taking 4 Percosets a day for six month straight prior to surgery. That is a HUGE benefit. I had a little bit of a an addiction going but those symptoms completely resolved in about a month. Bottom line....knowing what I know now almost 2 years later....I would have the surgery again.

      Yes I still have some back pain...my doc wanted to do fusion at two levels and I talked him into one....the unfused segment still causes me some pain at times but I like the fact that i is less invasive.....so in general....the surgery fixed most of my issues.

      hope that answers your questions...if not email me directly at craig.goudy@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. Great post! Been reading a lot about back health recently, so reading through your blog is very interesting, Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am 46 and require L4-L5 TLIF due to a recurring problematic synovial cyst in which I already had a Mini Lami for 6 weeks ago.
    Any current year and/or up-to-date suggestions and word of encouragement ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still pain free from the original TLIF...I do have pain in another segment but nothing serious at this time...it is just to be expected when one has chronic back issues...bottom line is I would do it all over again...

    ReplyDelete